Use the exemption matrix to tell CertCapture which exemption certificates apply to your business. You can select the region, exempt reason, and the specific exemption certificate form that you have on file. You must add the exemption certificate details here before you send a copy of the document to a vendor.
Before you begin
You must be an Admin user to customize the exemption matrix settings.
- In CertCapture, select an Outgoing document type from the drop-down menu to the right of your company name.
If you don't see a document type that ends in Outgoing, contact your Account Manager.
- Go to Content Library > Exemption Matrix.
The exemption matrix opens in a new tab.
- A green checkmark in a cell indicates its exposure zone and exempt reason settings are using Avalara's recommended defaults.
- Not Collecting in a cell means you are not collecting documents for the exempt reason in that region.
Select the item you need to edit:
- Select an exempt reason to view exemption settings by state.
- Select an exposure zone to view exemption settings by exempt reason.
- Select an individual cell in the table to view exemption settings for that state and exempt reason combination.
- If you're collecting for a given exposure zone or exempt reason, change the following settings:
- Collect Certificates: Select this if your business is exempt for the selected region and exempt reason.
- Tax ID: Enter the Tax ID for your business in the selected region.
- Expiration Timeframe: Select when the exemption certificate expires.
- Certificate Template: Select the exemption certificate form that applies to your business.
- Select one of the following options:
- Update: Save your changes.
- Reset to Default: Restore the CertCapture default settings.
- Cancel: Close the selected option without saving any changes.
- Reset: Reset to your last saved settings.