If your business application stores your customer's billing and shipping information under separate customer numbers, add all of the customers to CertCapture and then link them to create a billing and shipping customer relationship. Exemption documents added to the Bill-To customer flow down to its associated Ship-To records.
If you use one customer number for billing and all of the customer's shipping addresses, you don't need to create a billing and shipping customer relationship. However, you may want to add their shipping states to help track which exemption certificates to collect from them.
See the billing and shipping customer frequently asked questions for more information about how this works in CertCapture.
Example of a billing and shipping customer relationship
One of your customers is a restaurant chain, and they have exemption certificates on file for NY and TX. You send invoices to the corporate office, but you also ship products to the individual restaurant locations in multiple states. Each restaurant location has a different customer number in your business application, but they are covered by the corporate office's exemption certificates.
- The corporate office is the Bill-To customer, and they have NY and TX exemption certificates on file.
- Each restaurant location is set up separately as a Ship-To customer of the restaurant corporate office:
- A NY location of the restaurant is set up as a Ship-To customer of the corporate office, and it has its own customer number.
- A TX location of the restaurant is set up as a Ship-To customer of the corporate office, and it has its own customer number.
Here's how the exemptions are applied:
- The corporate office has a direct link to the NY and TX exemption certificates. If the customer code on the transaction is the code for the corporate office, the customer will be exempt for transactions shipping to either NY or TX.
- The NY restaurant location is covered by the NY exemption certificate from the Bill-To customer, which is the corporate office. This customer code is not covered by the Bill-To customer's TX exemption certificate, since this Ship-To customer is located in NY.
- The TX restaurant location is covered by the TX exemption certificate from the Bill-To customer. This customer code is not covered by the Bill-To customer's NY exemption certificate, since this Ship-To customer is located in TX.