To create an exemption certificate for a customer, first you will need to search for the customer. If you can’t find the customer, learn how to add a customer. If the customer has an exemption certificate but it's invalid or expired, renew that certificate to get your customer up to date.
- In CertCapture for Retail, select Search.
The Exemption Search menu opens.
- Enter the customer information and select Search.
The search results are displayed.
- Find the row with the customer you're looking for and select the customer number.
The Customer Information window opens.
- Select Add New Jurisdiction.
The Exemption Certificate Wizard opens.
- Enter the exemption certificate information.
The information you put into the wizard is used to create the certificate.
- If Product Exemption Categories exist, select the categories that apply to your business.
- When providing an exemption reason, if the reason you select isn't recognized, a message displays.
- Once you’ve provided an exempt reason, provide information to create the certificate online or upload a copy. All forms aren't available for all states.
- Select Save and Continue.
- Have the customer sign the document using a mouse, touch screen, or signature tablet.
- Submit the certificate and wait for CertCapture for Retail to process the information you’ve provided.
When it’s finished, a window tells you that you’ve successfully created an exemption certificate.