CertCapture lets you quickly see the most important information about customer records and compliance documents while giving you the flexibility to customize and optimize how you work with the system. Whether you are new to CertCapture or looking for ways to use it more efficiently, the resources on this page help you get the most out of CertCapture.
Once you are oriented with the system, get started by uploading documents or adding customer details.
Take a Tour | Avalara CertCapture
Minimum browser and operating system requirements
For the best experience using CertCapture, use a supported operating system and browser:
- Most recent version of FireFox, Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Safari
- Internet Explorer (IE) 11+
- CertCapture continues to support IE based on Microsoft's support for the browser. For more information, see Microsoft's site.
- Operating Systems
- Windows 7 32 Bit, 64 Bit
- Windows Vista
- CertCapture continues to support Windows Vista based on Microsoft's support for the operating system. As of now, support is scheduled to end April 11, 2017.
- Mac OSX 10.9, 10.8, 10.7
When you log into CertCapture, you first see the dashboard with widgets and links to many of the major tasks that you use in CertCapture.
Access each feature of CertCapture using the toolbar. The CertCapture toolbar is visible on every page in CertCapture. This toolbar displays the menus you need to complete most tasks in CertCapture.
The CertCapture toolbar looks different based on the type of user you are – Admin, Advanced, Auditor, Read-Only, Standard, or Customized.
The page banner displays a scrolling snapshot of your account type, user data, and certificate counts. The items you see in the scrolling display depends on the type of CertCapture account you have (Enterprise, Excise, and so on). Here are the items you could see:
- Account, Company, and Document Type: Use these to navigate your account and company hierarchy, or switch to a different document type. Document Type is only visible to users on an account with multiple document types enabled.
- User: Select this to edit your profile, view notifications or downloads, and log out.
- Quick Search: Enter a search term to find a customer or certificate.
- CertCapture Navigation bar: Access to all CertCapture features and functions.
- Dashboard: Select to return to the dashboard from anywhere in CertCapture.
- Search: Select and then select a menu item:
- Certificate Search: Search for a certificate.
- Customer Search: Search for a customer.
- Saved Searches: See a list of your saved searches.
- Reports: Select and then select a menu item:
- Certificate Reports: Create a report that shows the status of your certificates in CertCapture.
- Customer Reports: Create a report that shows the status of your customers in CertCapture.
- Logistics Reports: Create reports about computing details of your account in CertCapture.
- User Reports: Create reports that show details about your organization’s members who use CertCapture.
- Manage Documents
- Upload Documents: Import certificates into CertCapture.
- Current Company: See stacks to be merged and validated for the company you are in.
- All Companies: See details about stacks to be merged and validated across all companies to which you have access.
- Send Single Request: Generate a cover letter or partially completed certificate that is ready to send to a customer.
- Campaigns: Review the status of all bulk requests for certificates, called campaigns.
- Cover Letters: Create a cover letter from a cover letter template.
- Certificate Templates: Review and modify the certificate templates that you want to associate with specific exempt reasons.
- Customers: Select and then select a menu item:
- Add Customer: Add a single customer to CertCapture.
- Import Customers: Use a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file to import records of customers in bulk.
- Same-As Customers: Link records of customers who are entered more than once under different names in CertCapture.
- Content Library: Select and then select a menu item:
- Certificate Library: Download blank or prefilled certificate forms for states and provinces.
- Nexus Settings: Select where your company has sales tax nexus.
- Exemption Matrix: Select acceptable document types for specific exposure zones and exempt reasons
- Company Settings: Select and then select a menu item:
- Client Details: See details about your CertCapture account.
- Expiration Matrix: See a matrix that shows your exposure zones.
- Custom Fields: View and manage custom fields for either customer or certificate records.
- Assign Users: See or edit who in your organization can access CertCapture.
- Account Settings: Depending on your type of account, select and then select a menu item:
- Account Details: See and change the name, contact information, and company hierarchy for your account.
- Exposure Zones: See and change your exposure zones.
- Invalid Reasons: See and change reasons that certificates might be invalid.
- Exempt Reasons: See and change exemption reasons.
- Certificate Attributes: See and change certificate attributes.
- Customer Attributes: See and change customer attributes.
- Manage Users: See and change your organization’s user accounts.
- User Roles: See and change the roles of your organization’s users.
- Company Settings: Select and then select a menu item:
- Account and User Details: Your organization’s name, logo, and a scrolling snapshot of users and documents on your account.
Here are the possible items:
- Number of Customers - Customers you have added for this account.
- Total Number of Certificates - Sum of exemption certificates that have document images plus certificates that do not have document images.
- Number of Users - Number of users for this account.
- Your CertCapture account type (Enterprise, Excise, and so on).
- Certificates with Images - Number of exemption certificates that have document images. This number should match the usage displayed in Avalara Account.
- Message Center: Common data reports for your account. Similar widgets can be added, adjusted, or removed.
Widgets are windows that display helpful CertCapture reports. They're displayed under the page banner on the dashboard. Add, remove, minimize, maximize, and move widgets to customize the dashboard.
|To...||Do this...||Use this control...|
|Minimize||Select the Minimize icon on its toolbar|
|Maximize||Select the Maximize icon on its toolbar|
|Add||Select the Add Widgets button, and choose a widget from the library|
|Move||Select the widget's title bar and drag it to a new location|
|Remove||Select the Close icon on its title bar|
|Widget from library||Displays...|
|Account Logins||Time-stamps and names for users who've logged into your account.|
|Download Center||Downloadable reports generated by CertCapture at the request of an account user.|
|Expired Certificates||Exemption certificates that have expired in the last 90 days.|
|Failed Login||Unsuccessful account login attempts.|
|Invalid Customers||Your customers that were marked with the invalid attribute by one of your account users.|
|Message Center||Status reports for actions you've taken in your account, release notes for updates, memos from CertCapture's designers.|
|Expiring Certificates||Exemption certificates with expiration dates in the next 90 days.|
|Invalid Certificates||Exemption certificates that were marked with the Invalid attribute during processing.|
|New Certificates||Exemption certificates added to your account in the last 30 days.|
|Pending Certificates||Certificates in pending status.|
|Missing Certificates||Customers with exposure zones that are missing certificates. Missing certificates for non-nexus states are not included.|
Use the Quick Links pane
The Quick Links pane provides easy access to your recent page history and to bookmarks you set within CertCapture.
On the left side of the Dashboard, select the Quick Links tab to see the following tools:
Manage user preferences
Use the menu under your username to manage user preferences as well as check messages and available downloads.
To access the menu, select your username, and then select one of these menu items:
- My Profile: Select to manage your user preferences.
- Message Center: Select to see messages about CertCapture upgrades and maintenance or processes in CertCapture.
- Download Center: Select to see any items that you can download.
- Logout: Select to log out of CertCapture.
Manage companies within your company hierarchy
To work with documents and customers for a company of your organization's hierarchy, in the upper right of the dashboard, to the left of your username, select the drop-down menu and select your company's name. For more information about Companies and Company Groupings, see Configure Your Company Hierarchy.
CertCapture features at-a-glance
See which features are available by default, can be customized, or require contacting Avalara Support.
|Email reports and set subscription||✓|
|Supports US and Canada||✓|
|Supports outside US and Canada||Customizable|
|Documented Exempt reason||✓|
|Expected Exempt reason||(Support)*|
|Customer custom fields||✓|
|Certificate custom fields||✓|
|Custom certificate templates||(Support)*|
|Same As Duplicate Recognition||✓|
|Job search (tracking)||✓|
|Send Requests: mail, fax, email||✓|
|Attach partially completed cert to request||✓|
|Attach last invalid cert to request||✓|
|Configurable online form submission tool||✓|
|Multiple cover letter templates||✓|
|Fax and upload cert submission||✓|
|Email cert submission||✓|
|Email cert submission with key field entry||✓|
|Allow CertExpress forms to be auto-validated||(Support)*|
|Auto claim stacks||✓|
|User Account/Access levels|
*To use this feature, submit a case to our support team.