This article applies to:Avalara CertCapture
If a customer's exemption certificate is expired or invalid, get them up-to-date by renewing their exemption certificate.
- Search for the customer who needs a renewed exemption certificate.
- Once you find the customer record, click Renew Certificate.
- Complete the exemption certificate wizard to update the certificate. Much of the customer's information should be there already.
- If Product Exemption Categories exist, select the categories that apply to you.
- Note any messages about the exemption reason you selected. Some exemption reasons are not available for online completion.
- Once you’ve provided an appropriate exempt reason, choose to provide information to create the certificate online or upload a copy of a certificate. Not all forms are available for all states. The information you enter in the fields on the left populate the image you see on the right.
- Make it official! Have the customer sign using a mouse, touch screen, or signature tablet (whatever your retail location has available).
- Submit the newly created certificate, wait for CertCapture for Retail to process the information you’ve provided, and when it’s all finished, a window appears notifying you that you’ve successfully created an exemption certificate.