If you need to exempt a customer but do not have a copy of their exemption certificate on hand, you can import the certificate data without an image. Note that this is not generally recommended, since you will need to be able to provide a copy of the certificate in event of an audit. Consider having the customer sign and submit an affidavit to act as a placeholder exemption certificate instead.
If you do use this option, be sure to request copies of the customer's exemption certificates as soon as possible.
Before you begin
- Import files larger than 50 MB or with more than 40,000 lines can't be imported
- Column header titles cannot be modified
- If you add a customer number to a template and that customer number already exists in CertCapture, data in the spreadsheet will override existing information for that customer
- Download the import template.
- Open the template and add customer information.
Use this table as a guide.
- In CertCapture, go to Customers > Import Customers.
- Select Choose File to add the spreadsheet from its location on your computer.
- Select the Upload button, and then select Import Customer Data to begin the upload. We'll email you when it's done.
- After you receive the confirmation email, go to Search > Certificate Search and search for any of the customer records you just created. Confirm that the search displays the records you expect to see.
If everything looks correct, request a copy of their exemption certificates to be sure you're prepared for an audit.