Compliance documents such as exemption certificates should be accurate and up-to-date. Edit a certificate in CertCapture to adjust details, link it to other customers, or review its history.
- In CertCapture, search for the certificate and then select the certificate to view its details.
Certificates in the Pending status cannot be edited. You can either validate the pending certificate and then edit it, or delete the pending certificate.
- On the Details tab, select Edit to modify details and then select Update to save the changes.
Edit can't be used to replace an old document with a new one. If a certificate has expired or needs to be renewed, upload the new file to CertCapture and properly validate it.
The state or territory where the customer is exempt. This should match the state or territory on the document.
Additional states can't be added to an existing certificate. Upload and validate a new certificate or change the existing state to a different one if there was a mistake during validation.
Effective / Expiration Date
When the certificate is considered valid. Exempt Reason Why the customer is tax exempt. Learn more about exempt reasons and entity use codes. Tax ID The customer's tax number as found on the certificate itself. Single Use Used only when the exemption is associated with a single PO number. PDF File
Use this when you have a higher quality PDF file to upload or used a placeholder file during validation.
Don't use this to replace an old certificate with a new one. Replacing the PDF file with a more recent certificate doesn't automatically replace other certificate information in CertCapture.
Attributes If you track document attributes, such as Multi-Jurisdictional, Drop-Ship, etc., add those attributes here.
- Tax Number Type
- Type of Business
Tax Number Type and Business Number Type are required fields when validating documents for states that are in compliance with the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement.
- On the Customers tab, right-click a customer to view the customer or unlink them from the current certificate.
- Select Link Customer to link the certificate to another customer
- The Validation tab is for customers that verified an exemption certificate with their state and received a verification number. Select Edit Verification to note that the certificate has been verified with the state and save the certificate and verification numbers.
- The Verification Number field is meant for your own tracking purposes and isn't required elsewhere in CertCapture.
- The History tab contains the history of your certificate from creation to expiration.
- Any Notes added during validation are listed in this tab at the date and time of validation
- Use the Comments and Files tab to attach a file or text comment for your own personal records. Files and comments are not added directly to the certificate PDF.