An exposure zone is a geographic area where state or local taxing authorities expect you to collect and remit sales tax. If you have tax-exempt customers in these exposure zones, you will need to collect compliance documents (such as exemption certificates) from those customers to avoid exposure in event of an audit.
|Custom exposure zones are not compatible with AvaTax. Make sure to use the built-in state or province exposure zones for any documents that you expect to sync to AvaTax.|
- In CertCapture, go to Settings > Account Settings > Exposure Zones.
- In the Exposure Zones pane, select one of the following:
- Add Exposure Zone: To add a new custom exposure zone.
- Edit: To edit an existing exposure zone.
- In the Add Exposure Zone dialog box, add the following:
- Name of the exposure zone
- Description of the exposure zone
- State or region where the exposure zone is located
- Country where the exposure zone is located
- Add On Ship-To: When enabled, this exposure zone is added anytime the related state is added as an exposure zone.
- Example: Create an exposure zone for "LA Parish" and check Add On Ship-To, CertCapture will add two exposure zones ("LA Parish" and LA) whenever you add LA as an exposure zone. If left unchecked, you'll have to add the two exposure zones separately.
- Select Add Exposure Zone to save it.
- Select Edit to modify an existing exposure zone.