To create an exemption certificate for a customer record, first you will need to search for the relevant customer record. If you can’t find the customer, create a customer record. If the customer has an exemption certificate but it's invalid or expired, renew that certificate to get your customer up to date.
- Use the Exemption Search window to search for a customer record. Enter the relevant customer record information, and click Search. Once you locate the customer record, click anywhere within the customer record row to select the Customer Record. Within the Customer Information window, click Add New Jurisdiction.
- Adding a jurisdiction initiates the exemption certificate wizard. The information you put into the wizard is used to create the certificate. Click Save and Continue to complete the wizard.
- If Product Exemption Categories exist, select the categories that apply to your business.
- When providing an exemption reason, if the reason you select isn't recognized, a message displays.
- Once you’ve provided an exempt reason, provide information to create the certificate online or upload a copy. All forms aren't available for all states.
- Make it official! Have the customer sign using a mouse, touch screen, or signature tablet (whatever your retail location has available).
- Submit the certificate and wait for CertCapture for Retail to process the information you’ve provided. When it’s finished, a window tells you that you’ve successfully created an exemption certificate.