This article applies to:Avalara CertCapture
- Search for a customer.
- If you can't find a customer after searching, click + New Exemption.
- Follow the customer and certificate creation wizard. Admin users decide which fields are required and which are optional when customizing the settings for CertCapture for Retail. After you fill in the information, click Next.
- Choose a jurisdiction. Adding a jurisdiction initiates the exemption certificate wizard. The information you put into the wizard is used to create the certificate. See your updates on screen after you generate the certificate.
- Provide the exemption information in the exemption certificate wizard.
- Select a reason for creating the certificate.
- Note any messages about the exemption reason you selected. Some exemption reasons are not available for online completion.
- Once you’ve provided an exempt reason, provide information to create the certificate online or upload a copy. All forms aren't available for all states.
- Make it official! Have the customer sign using a mouse, touch screen, or signature tablet (whatever your retail location has available).
- Submit the certificate and wait for CertCapture for Retail to process the information you’ve provided. When it’s finished, a window tells you that you’ve successfully created an exemption certificate.
If a customer has an invalid or expired exemption certificate, renew that certificate to get your customer up-to-date.