After you configure your company information, add your customers to CertCapture. If it's the first time you're adding customers to CertCapture, plan to transfer all exempt customers from your business application into CertCapture. Customer information includes contact details and whether customers were billed for or shipped goods. Customers are added separately for each company in your CertCapture account.
You should plan to transfer customer records from your business application to CertCapture on a regular basis to keep it up to date. Since you process transactions in your business application, use that customer list as the source of truth.
Before you begin
Exemptions are applied based on the customer number that you enter in CertCapture. If you're using CertCapture with AvaTax, make sure to use the same customer number format you see on transactions in AvaTax.
- In CertCapture, go to Customers > Add Customer.
The Add Customer page opens.
- Add your customer's details.
- Customer Number, Name, Address Line 1, City, State, Country, and ZIP are required.
- Customer Number is important. If you've transferred customers from your business application, make sure the customer number is correct.
- Optional: If you can define the customer number in your business application, you can select Generate to have CertCapture generate a unique customer number.
- Alternate ID can't be used to exempt a customer that exists in two ERPs. In that situation, create a second customer record.
- Select Add New Customer.
Now that the customer is created, you can add other details, such as adding Ship To states.