Learn how to add custom exempt reasons to CertCapture.
Adding custom exempt reasons is not recommended if you use CertCapture with AvaTax. Avalara recommends that you use one of the exempt reasons available in AvaTax for any documents that you expect to exempt customers in AvaTax.
- In CertCapture, go to Settings > Account Settings > Exempt Reasons.
- Select one of the following:
- Add Exempt Reason: To add a new exempt reason.
- Edit: To modify an existing exempt reason.
- In the Add Exempt Reason dialog box, add a Name and Description.
- In the Webportal/Retail Lead Question field, type a question that is displayed to users completing certificates in the Retail module or your eCommerce integration.This is the default question for this exempt reason in all exposure zones in the exemption matrix, unless specifically over-ridden there on a state-by-state basis
- Select Add Exempt Reason to save.
By default, custom exempt reasons are not compatible with AvaTax, although they can be mapped to any of the standard exempt reasons that are available in AvaTax. Submit a support case if you would like to have a custom exempt reason mapped to one of the built-in exempt reasons.