Streamlined Sales Tax Form
- Rev. 3/06-2
Alabama code (section 40-23-4) does not require a formal certificate, but does require the collection of the information that is normally on the SST form, therefore we suggest the use of the SST form for soliciting purposes. If other forms arrive and have the same information as above, then they will also be accepted. There is a generic resale certificate and agricultural certificate available from the state.
- State filled in as AL.
- Name of purchaser, including street address, city and state. Purchaser’s AL state tax ID number.
- Name of seller.
- At least one selection in Part 4: type of business.
- At least one selection in Part 5: reason for exemption. ID number must be entered in this section or in item 3 above.
This form is issued by the state for companies that do not have a state tax license, such as manufacturers and other exempt industries. The top right corner will have their exemption number, such as EX-555.
- Name and address of the vendor to whom the certificate copy is provided.
- Date the certificate is provided.
- Basis for the certificate holder’s exemption claim
- Certificate holder’s signature and title.
Form ST-EXC-1 Agricultural Exemption
This form is issued by a farmer purchasing certain products for agricultural use. Due to the nature of farming, it may be possible that no state ID may be presentable by the purchaser. In those cases this may be a more appropriate form.
- Name and address of the purchaser.
- Optional – SCS farm number.
- Name of vendor.
- Purchaser’s signature and date.
Form AL Government Entity Exemption
This form is issued by a government or school that is requesting to be exempt from sales tax. These entities are exempt by AL code section 40-23-4. A certificate is not required, but it is recommended.
- Seller name and address.
- Purchaser name and address.
- Identify as Government or School.
- Purchaser’s signature and Date.
- For SST and MTC forms the tax ID number used must be an Alabama issued tax ID number. Per 810-6-5-.02 non-State licensed companies should use STE-1.
- A copy of the customer’s Alabama sales tax license will be accepted as a valid, resale exemption certificate. The AL sales tax license is not the same as the AL business license. The sales tax license will state “SALES TAX LICENSE” across the top of the page, whereas the state business license will have somewhere on the form the current license year it is valid for.
- Sales tax accounts are normally 9 or 10 digits long and may contain numbers and letters. Manufacturers and other exempt companies are normally 3-4 digits.
- AL State ID numbers can be verified online.
- AL SST Suggested Form
- AL-STE-1 Example
- AL Direct Pay Example
- AL Resale Generic Form
- AL Agricultural Form
- AL Government Form
You can find these forms in the certificate library.