AvaTax Update address validation is a feature that verifies, corrects, and formats addresses according to the USPS database. When you validate addresses using AvaTax Update, you ensure that the address is formatted correctly so AvaTax Update calculates tax accurately. A valid address has 1-3 address lines, including a city, state, and ZIP code. At this time, AvaTax Update only validates addresses in the United States and Canada. Validating addresses may incur additional usage fees.
Here are some of the most common addresses AvaTax Update validates:
- Your company's address - When you validate your company's address, you ensure that the origin address used on most invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your customers' addresses - When you validate your customers' addresses, you ensure that the ship-to address used on invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your vendors' addresses - When you validate your vendors' addresses, you ensure that:
- Addresses used in consumer use transactions are accurate for tax calculation
- AvaTax Update verifies VAT calculation is correct for the address you provide (where applicable)
Depending on your accounting software, there are other types of addresses that AvaTax Update validates. We recommend validating all addresses for accurate tax calculation.
Validate addresses in several different ways:
- Validate many addresses at once - Most accounting software that integrates with AvaTax Update includes a utility that allows you to validate many or all of your addresses at once. We recommended this method for validating addresses.
- Validate a single address - If you only have a few addresses to validate, or if you're adding a new address and have already validated the others in your system, use your accounting software to validate the address or validate the address in AvaTax Update.
- Validate addresses during tax calculation - Validate addresses on every transaction sent to AvaTax Update. This is generally a setting in your accounting software. Avalara doesn't recommend validating during tax calculation because this could increase your usage fees significantly.
Validate an address
- Open any transaction and click the Actions tab.
- In the Functions group, click the Avalara Functions icon and then click Validate Address.
- In the Edit - Address Validation dialog box, click Accept three times to accept the validated address for the bill-to, ship-to, and sell-to addresses.
- Click Close and then OK.
Validate a ship-to address
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the left pane, click Departments, click Sales & Marketing, and then click Sales.
- On the right pane under Lists, click Customers.
- Double-click any customer and in the Edit - Customer Card dialog box, on the toolbar, in the Customer group, click Ship-to Addresses.
- In the View - Ship-to Address List dialog box, click any ship-to address.
- In the Edit - Ship-to Address dialog box, click the Navigate tab.
- At the upper left, click Avalara Functions and then click Validate Address.
- In the Edit - Address Validation screen, click Accept, and in the Edit - Ship to Address dialog box, click OK.
Validate a location
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the left pane, go to Departments > Warehouse.
- On the right pane, click Administration, and then under Setup, click Locations.
- In the View - Location List dialog box, click a location.
- On the Manage menu, click Edit.
- In the Edit - Location Card dialog box, on the Navigate tab, point to Avalara Functions, and then click Validate Address.
- In the Edit - Address Validation dialog box, under Validated Address, see the validated address, and if it's correct, click Accept.
Validate a batch of addresses
The Batch Address Validation utility lets youfor customers, vendors, or locations for a batch of transactions.
- In Microsoft Dynamics NAV, go to Home > Departments > AvaTax > Utilities > Administration and click Batch Address Validation Utility.
- In the Edit - AvaTax Batch Address Validation dialog box:
- Select the filter:
- Next to Validate for, select either Customer, Vendor, or Location.
- Next to No., click the dropdown list. In the Customer List window, select the customers and then click OK.
- Next to Country, select the country.
- Next to State, select the state.
- Click Validate Range.
- View the validated address for each customer, vendor, or location in the range.
- Under Error Description, if you see an error description, go into the customer, vendor, or location card and update the address.
- Click OK.
- Select the filter: