After you activate AvaTax Update and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax Update for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
Download AvaTax Update for your accounting software
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax Update, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax Update, go to Settings > Manage Account. Avalara Account opens in a new tab.
- In Avalara Account, go to Connectors.
- Click the arrow next to the name of your software to download the connector you need.
- In your Downloads folder, right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
Install AvaTax Update for your accounting software
To install AvaTax Update for CS-Cart:
- Using FTP, upload all files and folders from the AvaTax Update for CS-Cart zip file to the root folder of your CS-Cart store.
- Complete the code changes detailed in the code change document available in the downloaded AvaTax Update for CS-Cart zip file.
- In the CS-Cart Administration section, on the Add-ons menu, click Manage Add-ons.
- To the right of Avalara AvaTax, click Install.
Configure AvaTax Update for your accounting software
- On the CS-Cart toolbar, on the Add-ons menu, click Manage Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons pane, to the right of Avalara AvaTax, click the Settings icon.
- On the Accounts Settings page, fill in the following:
- Account ID
- License Key
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your account). It must match what's saved in AvaTax Update. Service URL Select Development if you have an AvaTax Update development account or Production if you have an AvaTax Update production account.
- Next to Make a test call to the AvaTax Update, click Test connection. On successful verification, a list of associated company names populates in the Company Name field.
- Fill in the remaining required fields, including:
Field Action Company Name Select the correct name. The associated code displays in Company Code. Save Transaction to AvaTax Select Yes. Enable AvaTax address validation Optional: If you disable address validation, AvaTax Update uses the customer's ship-to address to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled. Enable AvaTax tax calculation If you choose to disable tax calculation, your accounting software no longer uses AvaTax Update to calculate tax on transactions. Send UPC code to AvaTax Optional: Select to send a UPC instead of an item code to AvaTax Update. Using this feature may trigger additional fees. Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information. Enable Log
Optional: This function is primarily used for troubleshooting issues. If you choose to enable logging, all success, warning, and error messages are included in the log. Only enable logging if you've been instructed to do so by Avalara Support because it can significantly slow down your service.
Select Yes to start generating Avalara logs in the ..\app\addons\avatax_tax_calculation\ava-logs folder.
Ava-Connect-Log-dd-mm-yyyy.txt (eg. Ava-Connect-Log-27-08-2015.txt) is the integration response log.