After you activate AvaTax Update and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax Update for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
If you've previously installed the integration, learn how to upgrade to the latest version.
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax Update, download your integration software.
- In Avalara Account, go to Connectors.
- Click the arrow next to the name of your software to download the connector you need.
- In your Downloads folder, right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
Before you install:
- Consult with your solution provider to make sure that Sage Sales Tax for Sage 300 Powered by AvaTax Update won't interfere with any other Sage 300 add-ons
- Make sure all Sage 300 users are logged out and that Sage 300 is closed
- Uninstall any previous versions of Sage Sales Tax for Sage 300 Powered by AvaTax Update
To install Sage Sales Tax for Sage 300 Powered by AvaTax Update:
- Right-click the .exe file that you downloaded from AvaTax Update, click the Compatibility tab, and do the following:
- Under Compatibility mode, click Run this program in compatibility mode for, and, on the menu under that, select your Windows operating system.
- Under Privilege level, click Run this program as an administrator, and then click OK.
- Double-click the .exe file.
- In the Destination Folder dialog box, choose the default installation and application folders or other folders on your computer instead of on a network, and then click Next.
- In the AvaTax Update is installing dialog box, click Next.
- In the Installation succeeded! dialog box, click Finish.
Configure Sage Sales Tax for Sage 300 Powered by AvaTax Update to fit your company's needs.
To activate data for Sage Sales Tax for Sage 300 Powered by AvaTax Update:
Configure with the Setup Assistant
The AvaTax Update Setup Assistant guides you through the most essential configuration settings required to calculate tax.
To configure Sage Sales Tax for Sage 300 Powered by AvaTax Update with the Setup Assistant:
- Log in to your Sage 300 account.
- Go to Sage Sales Tax Powered by Avalara > AvaTax Setup Assistant, and then click Setup Assistant.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, next to Enter your Account Credentials and Company Code, click the > button, fill in the following, and then click OK:
- Account Number
- License Key
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your AvaTax Update account).
Use the same ones you use to log into your AvaTax Update account. Web Service URL Make a selection based on your account type, click Test Connection, and then follow one of these steps:
- If you see the message "Configuration validated successfully," click OK and move to the next field.
- If you see the message "Connection Test failed," reenter your account information, and then click Test Connection again.
Company Code, Company Name Select the company code that you created when you activated your AvaTax Update account.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, next to Set Tax Liability Account, click the > button, and then:
- In the Map Tax Group dialog box, select the Tax Group Code as AvaTax.
- To launch the Customer Tax Group Update Utility, click Launch. The AvaTax Customer Tax Group Update Utility makes it easy to assign some or all of your customers to AvaTax Update so that Sage 300 uses AvaTax Update as the sales-tax provider when you process transactions for those customers.
- In the Finder - Tax Groups window, under Tax Group, select AvaTax, and then click Select.
- Fill in the following, click Update, and then click Close:
Field Action Record Type Select either Customer, Customer Group, or Tax Group. The Filter Criteria changes based on your selection. Country Select the appropriate country. State Select a range of states in which to apply AvaTax Update as the sales-tax provider to all the customers whom you select. Update all Ship-To records associated with customer Select if you want to assign the selected tax group to all the ship-to addresses of the customers.
- From Customer Number
- To Customer Number
Fill in both to define the range of customers.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, next to Enable Address Validation for USA and Canada, click the > button.
- In the Address Validation dialog box, do the following, and then click Ok:
- Optional: To disable the address validation feature, select Disable Address Validation .
- In the Country Selection section, select the country for which you want to enable address validation and click >>.
- In the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, next to Test Calculating Tax, click the > button, and then follow one of these steps:
- If you see the message "Congratulations! You are connected to AvaTax Update," go to the next step.
- If you see any other message, follow steps 1-6 again.
- To set up your tax profile using the AvaTax Update tax profile assistant, in the Avalara Setup Assistant dialog box, click Click here to launch the AvaTax Tax Profile Assistant.
Configure with AvaTax Options
- Go to Sage Sales Tax Powered by Avalara > AvaTax Setup, and then click AvaTax Options. The AvaTax Options dialog box opens.
- On the Security tab, fill in the following, and then click Test Connection:
Field Action URL Enter https://sandbox.admin.avalara.com/ if you have an AvaTax development account or https://admin.avalara.com if you have an AvaTax Update production account
- Account Value
- End User License Key
Use the account number and license key provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your AvaTax Update account) Company Code Enter your AvaTax Update company code
- Complete or modify fields on the remaining tabs, using the following information, and then click Close to save your changes:
- Optional: The General tab:
Field Description Tax Code Mapping
Select to enable fields used to map tax codes.
- Item Category - To use this option, ensure that the Order Entry module is active.
- Commodity Number - If the Accounts Receivable module is active, the A/R items window opens. If the Order Entry module is active, the I/C items window opens.
- AvaTax Table - To use this option, ensure that the Order Entry module is active.
Enable Entity/Use Code
These codes are applicable either at the header-level or the line-level.
- Header Level Entity/Use Code - Exemption reasons that are linked to a customer to create an exemption when that customer and address combination is used in a transaction.
- Line Level Entity/Use Code - Exemption reasons that are attached at the line level in a transaction.
Send Item Account to AvaTax When selected, the general ledger account associated with the item is sent along with the item code when used in a transaction. Enable UPC Code Select this option to send the UPC for an item to AvaTax Update. Disable Warning Messages Select this option to disable AvaTax Update warning messages in Sage 300. Default Freight Tax Code
To use this option, ensure the Order Entry module is active.
Click the search icon to open a list of available freight codes.
The freight code you select in this field applies to any codes mapped under OE/IC Options. The entry under Freight Code for Avatax carries the value that's in the Default Freight Tax Code field. If there are no values under Freight Code for Avatax, the Default Freight Tax Code won't be used in transactions sent to AvaTax Update.
Ship-Via Code (POS)
To use this option, ensure the Order Entry module is active. If the Order Entry module is not active, this field is a free text field to map Ship-Via Code for accounts receivable transactions.
AVPICK, the AvaTax Update default, creates a point-of-sale (origin-based sourcing) transaction when used in the ship-via field on a transaction sent to AvaTax Update. Populating this field with any ship-via code creates a point-of-sale transaction. We suggest you use the AVPICK default on transactions that require point-of-sale sourcing.
Request Timeout (in Seconds) The default is 300 seconds. Don't change this unless you have a very good reason to do so. Enable Log
Select to enable log creation, typically when asked to do so by Avalara Support. Due to space issues, we suggest that you do not check this box unless you're asked.
- The Tax Calculation tab:
To use this feature, ensure that the General Ledger module and either the Accounts Payable module or the Purchase Orders module is active.
Section Field and Description Optional: General Options
- Disable Tax Calculation - Select to disable AvaTax Update tax calculations.
- Use Posting Date to Post Transactions - Select to use the date an invoice was posted instead of the document date.
- Tax Only Adjustment - Select to allow tax adjustments on credit memos.
- Always check addresses before calculating - Select to We recommend that you don't select this because it may lead to extra charges.
before AvaTax Update calculates sales tax.
- Resume Tax Calculation on Address Validation Failure - Select to let AvaTax Update calculate tax for a transaction even if it can't validate the address for it.
Default Tax Group
- Tax Group Code - Select a tax group code with AVATAX in it to calculate sales tax with AvaTax Update.
- Tax Liability Account - The account associated with the tax group.
- Currency Code - The currency associated with the tax group.
Consumer Use Tax Assessment
- Optional: Enable Use Tax Assessment - Select to enable consumer use tax assessment for vendor invoices.
- Credit Account No. - Select the account where the accrual amount is credited.
- Debit Account Option - Select the account from which the accrual amount is debited.
- Debit Account No. - Select the associated account specified when you select Single Account in Debit Account Option.
- Optional: The Address Validation tab:
Section Field and Description General Options
- Disable Address Validation - Select to disable address validation.
- Return results in Uppercase - Select to display validated addresses in all capital letters.
Batch Processing Options
- During Batch Address Validation, continue processing regardless of errors - Select to ignore any errors during batch processing.
- Scan, Add and Report Validated Addresses during Batch Address Validation:
- Manually - Select to manually update records that were validated via the report displayed after the batch validation has finished.
- Automatically - Select to let AvaTax Update automatically update the records as they're validated; records not validated are displayed via a report after the batch validation has finished.
Country Selection Select the countries that you'd like to include in address validation using AvaTax Update.
- Optional: The About AvaTax tab tab has details about the integration and contact information for Avalara Support.
- Optional: The General tab: