To make sure AvaTax Update calculates tax for all your customers, add the AVATAX tax item to your customer records.
Assign one customer to AvaTax Update
- In NetSuite, go to Lists > Relationships > Customers, and then click Edit next to the customer you'd like to assign to AvaTax Update.
- On the customer details page, click the Financial tab.
- In Account Information, click TAXABLE. (If you've enabled the Enable Per Line Taxes on Transaction feature, the TAXABLE checkbox isn't visible at the transaction level because it's controlled directly from the customer card).
- Under TAX ITEM, select AVATAX and then click Save.
Assign multiple customers to AvaTax Update
- In NetSuite, go to Lists > Mass Update > Mass Updates.
- On the Mass Updates page, expand General Updates, and then click Customer.
- On the Customer Mass Update page, on the Criteria tab, select the appropriate Filter for the customers you'd like to assign to AvaTax Update.
- On the Mass Update Fields tab, to select the following fields click the Apply column and ensure that:
- For Taxable, the checkbox is selected.
- For Tax Item, select Value as AVATAX.
- On the Schedule tab, choose Single Event. There's no need to repeatedly assign the same customers to AvaTax Update.
- Click Save. The update runs as scheduled.
If you have exempt customers, decide how you're going to tell AvaTax Update that they're exempt. If you don't have any exempt customers, move on to managing the taxability of the products and services you sell.