For an item, you can choose to send the model number or the UPC (Universal Product Code) from Microsoft Dynamics GP to AvaTax Update. If the UPC is not available, the model number is set as the default and sent to AvaTax Update.
To customize taxability for specific products, Avalara tax codes and UPC content.need to be mapped to UPCs, and model numbers. Items not mapped to tax codes are treated as Tangible Personal Property (TPP) and fully taxed during calculation. Avalara has additional options available to help with product taxability, including
- If UPC content is not activated in AvaTax Update, then the UPC will not be considered even if is in the Product definition.
- Using this feature may cause additional fees. Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information.
Define UPC for a product
To define UPC for an item in AvaTax Update for Microsoft Dynamics GP, follow these steps:
- In Microsoft Dynamics GP, either go to Tools > Setup > System > AvaTax Update > Configuration > Tax Calculation tab and click Item UPC Mapping or go to Tools > Utilities > Avalara AvaTax > Update and click AvaTax Item UPC Mapping.
- In the AvaTax UPC Code Mapping window, select the range of items with the Item Number From and Item Number To fields.
- To refresh the table and display the selected item(s), click Redisplay.
- Click the item and add the Item UPC Code. You can now use the UPC for this item during tax calculation.
In AvaTax Update > Transaction Details page, you can view the transaction showing an item with UPC.