After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
In order to use AvaTax Update for Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Retail, install Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, Enterprise edition and set up all locations codes in AvaTax Update.
Configure the retail module
- Go to Modules > Avalara AvaTax > Setup > Configuration Setting > Retail.
For the Sales tax group, select AVATAX in order to enable AvaTax Update sales tax calculation.
Click Initialize to format the store data and create the required retail jobs. Choose to schedule jobs in recurring batches or start processing now. Click OK.
Click Location to store mapping to assign location codes to their associated Store number, and then click Save.
Click Fetch Tax Rates to store AvaTax Update rates in the database. Choose to schedule jobs in recurring batches or start processing now. Click OK, and then click Save.
Configure the database
Create AvaTax Update tables in the Retail Channel database.
- Run the SQL procedure AVA_d365ops_Retail_ChannelDBS.sql. Repeat this step in each channel and offline database.
- Go to Retail Channel Schema > AX 7 > Import in retail distribution schedule.
- Import AVA_RetailTableDistrubtion.xml and click Generate queries.
- Go to Distribution schedule > AVA-0001, and then click Run Now. Make sure the status of all jobs is Applied.
Configure the retail server
Save .dll files for AvaTax Update on your server.
- Go to your Retail server iisInstallation directory and place the following libraries (found in your release package) in there:
- Open CommerceRuntime.config and place <add source="assembly" value="Avalara.AX7.Local.Extension" /> just after the <composition> node.
- Save the Config file.
Configure offline MPOS
Save.dll files for AvaTax Update in your MPOS directory.
- Go to your MPOS Installation directory and place the following libraries (found in your release package) in there:
- Open CommerceRuntime.MPOSOffline.config and place <add source="assembly" value="Avalara.AX7.CRT.Extension" /> just after the <composition> node.
- Save the Config file.
Reset all the data in the cache of IIS in order for the AvaTax Update component to function correctly.
- Open Command Prompt with elevated access.
- Type iisreset, and then press Enter.
- Once it finishes, close the command prompt.
Set up Retail stores
Assign specific stores to use AvaTax Update.
- Go to Area Page > Your Company > Retail and Commerce.
- Click Retail stores and select All retail stores.
- For each store, click Edit and set the Sales Tax Group as AVATAX. AvaTax Update is now the default sales tax calculation method for that store. Click Save.
Match warehouse addresses to AvaTax Update location addresses
If you have multiple addresses for a single store, it's important for accurate tax calculation that the warehouse address matches the location address in AvaTax Update.
- Go to Retail and Commerce > Channels > Retail Stores > All Retail Stores.
- To view store details, right-click the Warehouse and click View Details.
- Make sure the warehouse address matches the address in AvaTax Update to ensure that AvaTax Update can exchange data with Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Retail for an accurate tax calculation based on this address. Click Save.
Move data to channel and offline store databases
Run batch scheduler scripts to move tax calculation data to channel and offline store databases.
- Go to Retail and Commerce > Retail IT > Distribution Schedule.
- Filter for AVA-001 and click Run Now. Click Yes on the message asking, "Do you want to run job AVA-001."
- This script takes about 2-3 minutes to run. Once it completes, you're ready to use AvaTax Update for Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Retail.