After you activate AvaTax Update and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax Update for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
Install AvaTax Update for Accounting Seed for Salesforce. If you're installing to a development , log in to the Salesforce test installation site.
Download AvaTax Update for your accounting software
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax Update, download your integration software.
- In Avalara Account, go to Connectors.
- Click the arrow next to the name of your software to download the connector you need.
- In your Downloads folder, right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
Install AvaTax Update for your accounting software
To install your integration:
- To download and install the package, click the package download link in the .pdf file in the package.
- On the Package Install page, select Install for All Users and click Install.
- On the Approve Third-Party Access screen, at the bottom, click Yes, grant access to these third-party web sites to access the AppExchange, and then click Continue. Status messages display during the installation.
- Click Done, and then verify the installed packages. When you finish the installation, you see a page that says Installed Packages.
- Use the procedures below to configure AvaTax Update for Accounting Seed for Salesforce.
There are multiple options for configuration after you install AvaTax Update for Accounting Seed for Salesforce . Follow the procedures below to complete the most common set up.
Add Avalara tabs
After you install AvaTax Update for Accounting Seed for Salesforce, you need to add the Avalara tab in order to configure your AvaTax Update credentials. You can also add an optional AvaTaxtab at this time for your exempt customers.
- On All Tabs, click the + sign.
- Click Customize My Tabs.
- On the Customize My Tabs page, select Avalara.
- Optional: To exempt customers with entity/use codes, hold down the Ctrl key and select Entity/Use Code.
- Click Add, and then click Save. The Avalara and Entity/Use Code tabs display.
Configure AvaTax Update for your accounting software
- On the Avalara tab, click Go!.
- Click New CBAvalara to set up a new AvaTax Update account, and then fill in the following:
- Account Number
- License Key
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your account). It must match what's saved in AvaTax Update.
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your account). It's the same credentials you use to log in to AvaTax Update. Service URL Select Development if you have an AvaTax Update development account or Production if you have an AvaTax Update production account.
- Click Save, and then click Test Connection. Ensure that you've entered the correct Company Code before you test the connection.
- After you successfully test the connection, fill in the remaining required fields, including:
Field Action Active Avalara Setting Select to designate this as your active AvaTax Update company. If you subsequently activate another company, this one will be deactivated. Tax Schedule
Select the applicable option:
- AvaTax or None: The Account Address is sent as the Destination Address along with the Original Address from Accounting Seed for Salesforce to AvaTax Update
- AvaTaxPOS: The Original Address is sent as both the Destination Address and the Original Address from Accounting Seed for Salesforce to AvaTax Update
- AvaTaxPOD: The Account Address is sent as both the Destination Address and the Original Address from Accounting Seed for Salesforce to AvaTax Update
- Enable Address Validation
- Verify Validations
If you disable address validation, AvaTax Update uses the customer's ship-to address to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled. Enable Tax Calculation Select to send a UPC instead of an item code to AvaTax Update. Using this feature may trigger additional fees. Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information. Customer Code Optional: Change the default Account Number field to an Account Name.
- Enable Entity/Use Code
- Enable Tax Code Mapping
- Enable to map entity/use codes for your customer addresses to flag them as exempt from sales tax.
- Enable to map items to Avalara tax codes to account for varying taxability of products and services.
- Click Save.
Validate origin address
The address in the Origin Address section is the address AvaTax Update uses for the origin address in sales tax calculations.
To validate your origin address:
- Click Validate Origin Address to standardize and complete the company address.
- On the Verify Replacement For Origin Address page, click Replace With Validated Address to replace the origin address.
Configure for sales tax
In this section, set up a sales tax general ledger revenue account, sales tax product, and add it to the standard price book
Set up a Sales Tax General Ledger Revenue Account
To set up a general ledger revenue account for AvaTax Update tax calculations in Accounting Seed for Salesforce:
- On the GL Accounts tab, click New.
- From the Type list, select your general ledger type, and then click Save. We recommend selecting the following to set up a separate account to accumulate your sales tax:
- Type: Balance Sheet
- Sub Type 1: Liabilities
- Sub Type 2: Current Liabilities / Long Term Liabilities
Set Up a Sales Tax Product
To set up a new product for sales tax calculations in Accounting Seed for Salesforce and add it to the standard price book:
- On the Products tab, click New.
- Add the new product information, following these guidelines:
- Ensure that Product Code matches the name you assigned on the Avalara tab in SalesTax Product Code. The AvaTax sales tax product code is AvaTax by default, but you can use whatever you want, as long as the fields match.
- Select the name of the general ledger account you set up for sales tax accumulation
- Click Active, and then click Save. The sales tax product is created.
Add the AvaTax sales tax product to the standard price book
To add the sales tax product to the standard price book:
- On the Product Detail page, click Add in the Standard Price section.
- On the Add Standard Price page, enter a standard price of $0 (AvaTax Update calculates the correct sales tax), click Active, and then click Save.
- On the Product Detail page, click Add to Price Book.
- On the Price Book Selection page, search by keyword for Sales Tax, click Standard, and then click Select.
- On the Add List Price page, type a List Price and click Save. The List Price can be $0 because AvaTax Update calculates the sales tax based on the total billing.
Customize page layout
Add custom buttons to the Account, Contact, Opportunity, Project Billing, and Billing List pages in order to calculates sales tax, validate addresses, and post transactions from each page.
Add buttons to the Account page
To validate your account addresses for accurate sales tax calculation, add AvaTax Update buttons to the Account page in Accounting Seed for Salesforce.
To add buttons to the Account page:
- Under App Setup, click Customize > Account > Edit Layouts.
- Next to Account Layout, click Edit.
- Click Buttons, and then drag the Validate Billing Address button and Validate Shipping Address button to the Custom Buttons area under Account Detail.
- Click Save.
Add buttons to the Contact page
To validate your contacts' addresses for accurate sales tax calculation, add AvaTax Update buttons to the Contact page in Accounting Seed for Salesforce.
To add buttons to the Contact page:
- Under App Setup, click Customize > Contacts > Page Layouts.
- Next to Contact Layout, click Edit .
- Click Buttons, and then drag the Validate Mailing Address button to the Custom Buttons area under Contact Detail.
- Click Save.
Add buttons to the Opportunity page
To add buttons to the Opportunity page:.
- Under App Setup, click Customize > Opportunities > Page Layouts.
- Next to Opportunity (Accounting) Layout, click Edit .
- Click Buttons, and then drag the Add Sales Tax button down to the Custom Buttons area under Opportunity Detail.
- Click Save.
Add buttons to the Project Billing page
While adding necessary buttons to the Project Billing page, you remove some standard buttons and replace them with AvaTax Update buttons. The Post and Unpost buttons are for Accounting Seed for Salesforce. AvaTax Update adds an additional step to the posting, because, when it posts the invoice in Accounting Seed for Salesforce, it also needs to post and commit the invoice to AvaTax Update. Additionally, if a user unposts an invoice, AvaTax Update moves the state of the invoice back to an unposted status in AvaTax Update.
To add the buttons to the Project Billing page:
- Under the App Setup, click Create > Objects.
- On the Custom Objects page, click Billing.
- In the Page Layouts section, next to Project Billing Layout, click Edit.
- Drag the Post and Unpost buttons up to the Page Layouts section. They're removed from the page.
- Click Buttons, and then drag the the following buttons down to the Custom Buttons area under Billing Detail:
- Calculate Sales Tax
- Validate Shipping Address
- Validate Billing Address
- Avalara Status
- AvaTax Post/Commit
- AvaTax UnPost/UnCommit
- Add a new Customer Information section to the page, click Fields, and then drag the following fields into the Customer Information section:
- Shipping Street
- Shipping City
- Shipping State
- Shipping Country
- Shipping PostalCode
- Shipping Contact
- Billing Street
- Billing City
- Billing State
- Billing PostalCode
- Billing Country
- Click Save.
Add buttons to the Billing List page
The Post/Commit Billings and UnPost/UnCommit Billings buttons allow you to post/unpost multiple bills at once.
To add buttons to the Billing List page:
- On the Billings tab, click your user name, and then select Setup.
- In Setup, click Create > Object > Billings.
- In Billings Layout, search for Billings List View, and then click Edit.
- Move Post/Commit Billings and UnPost/UnCommit Billings from Available Buttons to Selected Buttons, and then click Save.