If Avalara is filing sales tax returns for your company, schedule returns in AvaTax Update to tell Avalara where to file, which forms to submit, and at which frequency to file.
Schedule new returns by the 20th of the month of the first tax period for which Avalara is filing. For example, schedule a new return by January 20th for a January return, which Avalara files in February. This gives Avalara time to validate the information on the returns.
If you're scheduling a new return after you implement AvaTax Update, add it on the last day of the month prior to the first filing month.
Submit changes to filing calendars by the last day of the month prior to the one in which the changes will occur. For example, if the filing frequency changes in April, submit an updated filing calendar by March 31st so Avalara has time to make the change.
In addition to scheduling returns, you need to do a few other things so we can file for you:
- Complete the funding power of attorney (POA) authorization to authorize Avalara to withdraw the funds from your bank account and submit them with your return.
- Complete the registration steps set by the taxing entities in the state and local jurisdictions where your company is required to collect tax.
- Set up e-filing credentials, along with your tax ID. You provide this information when you schedule a return in AvaTax Update.
- See collect and remit Canadian sales tax if you need us to file and remit on your behalf in Canada.
Schedule a return
For Avalara to file taxes on your behalf, you must tell us where you collect and remit tax in AvaTax Update and schedule a return for the corresponding tax form for that jurisdiction.
For each state or jurisdiction where you plan to file a tax return, provide us with basic information about your registration with the jurisdiction. These jurisdictions should correspond to where you told us you collect and remit taxes.
To schedule a return:
- Go to Returns > Schedule and Approve Returns.
- Regions where you've told us you collect and remit taxes are listed. Find the region where you want to file and click View Details to Set Up Returns.
- Pick the form to file.
- Complete the information needed to file the return.
- Click Save Filing Settings.
Avalara reviews the filing settings for accuracy and completeness. During this time, the return is pending. If we need additional information to process the return, we'll contact you. After we finish the review, the return becomes active. Active returns can be approved and filed.
You can edit the information for a return while it's pending.
View, edit, or expire your active scheduled returns
After a scheduled return has been reviewed, it appears under Returns > All Scheduled Returns with an active status. You can view or edit the information for a specific return. Submit any changes to existing scheduled returns by the last day of the month prior to the one in which the changes will occur. For example, if your filing frequency changes in April, you need to submit an updated scheduled return by March 31st for Avalara to make the change.
You can also expire a scheduled return. If you expire a scheduled return, you may continue to collect taxes in that jurisdiction, but we'll no longer file returns in that jurisdiction with that form. Set a return to expire at the end of the current filing period, or a future filing period.