If Avalara is filing your sales tax returns for you, schedule returns in AvaTax Update to tell Avalara where to file, which forms to submit, and your filing frequency.
Schedule new returns by the 20th of the month of your first tax period. For example, schedule a new return by January 20th for your January return, which is filed in February. This gives Avalara time to validate your information and check your liabilities.
If you're scheduling a new return after implementation, add it on the last day of the month prior to the first filing month.
Submit any changes to existing filing calendars by the last day of the month prior to the one in which the changes will occur. For example, if your filing frequency changes in April, you need to submit an updated filing calendar by March 31st for Avalara to make the change.
In addition to scheduling returns, you need to do a few other things to allow us to file for you:
- To authorize Avalara to withdraw the funds from your bank account and submit them with your return, complete the funding power of attorney (POA) authorization.
- As part of the Get Started with Returns process, complete the registration steps set by the taxing entities in the state and local jurisdictions where you are required to collect tax.
- To complete the Get Started with Returns process, set up e-filing credentials, along with your tax ID. Here's a list of states and the information they require to register for e-filing. You provide this information when you schedule a return.
- If you need us to file and remit on your behalf in Canada, see collect and remit Canadian sales tax
Schedule a return
For Avalara to file taxes on your behalf, you must tell us where you collect and remit tax in AvaTax Update and schedule a return for the corresponding tax form for that jurisdiction.
For each state or jurisdiction where you plan to file a tax return, provide us with basic information about your registration with the jurisdiction. These jurisdictions should correspond to where you told us you collect and remit taxes.
To schedule a return:
- Go to Returns > This Month's Return Filing.
- Regions where you've told us you collect and remit taxes are listed. Find the region where you want to file and click Schedule a Return.
- Select the country and region, if different from your default.
- Pick the form to file.
- Complete the information needed to file the return.
- Click Save Filing Settings.
Avalara reviews the filing settings for accuracy and completeness. During this time, the return is pending. If we need additional information to process the return, we'll contact you. After we finish the review, the return becomes active. Active returns can be approved and filed.
You can edit the information for a return while it's pending.
View, edit, or expire your active scheduled returns
After a scheduled return has been reviewed, it appears under Returns > All Returns Scheduled with an active status. You can view or edit the information for a specific return. Submit any changes to existing scheduled returns by the last day of the month prior to the one in which the changes will occur. For example, if your filing frequency changes in April, you need to submit an updated scheduled return by March 31st for Avalara to make the change.
You can also expire a scheduled return. If you expire a scheduled return, you may continue to collect taxes in that jurisdiction, but we'll no longer file returns in that jurisdiction with that form. Set a return to expire at the end of the current filing period, or a future filing period.