Run Avalara AvaTax Reports
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Avalara has dozens of reports to help you reconcile data, file returns, and otherwise use information from your transactions. Generate reports on your transaction history at any time.
The data used in reports begins updating every 30 minutes. Depending on the amount of data being processed, the time of the month, and general server performance, these updates may take anywhere from twenty minutes to several hours to become visible in reports. For more recent transaction activity, see Transactions under the Transactions menu.
|What you want to do
||What reports to use
|Reconcile AvaTax Update invoice data with your accounting software
Use reconciliation reports to identify differences between AvaTax Update invoice data and data in your accounting software. Most reconciliation reports are available for sales tax or consumer use tax.
- Top Line: This basic report shows top line totals for your companies with transactions in AvaTax Update.
- Document Summary: This report shows totals for the transactions in AvaTax Update.
- Document Summary Listing: This report shows totals, broken up by taxing jurisdiction or by address, for transactions in AvaTax Update.
- Document Line Detail: This report shows totals of each document line within the transactions in AvaTax Update.
- Document Line Tax Detail: This report shows details for a selected transaction, showing each taxing jurisdiction within a document line.
- Exemption Exposure: This report shows the total exempt sales that don't have exemption certificates applied. Click links in the report to see this exposure summarized by customer or by transaction.
- Exemption Exposure Aging: This report shows groups of exempt transactions that don't have exemption certificates applied. Transactions display in four groups - current, greater than 30 days, greater than 60 days, and greater than 90 days.
|Get the information used to fill out tax returns
Use tax return filing reports to view your sales and sellers use tax liability. If you use Returns, use the Liability Worksheet Export Reports to get data for this month's return filing. Liability information helps Avalara fill out your tax returns. Most tax return reports are available for sales tax or for consumer use tax. Liability worksheet export reports are available for sales tax only.
- Tax Summary: This report shows tax summary liability by country or region. This report captures a view of all documents for the filters selected. The total tax amounts for California and Texas may not reflect all taxes due to mixed local sourcing. Click links in the report to see accurate totals for California and Texas.
- Tax Jurisdiction Detail: This report shows a detailed view of the state, county, city, and special tax jurisdiction. The view of the report you select changes how information is displayed. All views include a recap section summing up by jurisdiction type - state, county, city, and special tax jurisdiction - within each state.
- Standard View shows the transactions summarized by individual taxing jurisdictions within a state.
- Standard Expanded View returns the same report as the Standard View, but with extra space between lines of information.
- County City view shows transactions sorted by state, then county, and finally city taxing jurisdictions.
- Combined Extended View shows totals by address and is best used for state returns that require combined rate reporting by a non-taxing jurisdiction.
- Combined view differs from the Combined Extended View in its more detailed recap section, showing information by specific counties and cities.
- Combined View by Taxing Jurisdiction differs from the Combined View only by the inclusion of an STJ column for special tax jurisdictions.
- Exemption Detail by Jurisdiction: This report shows exempt and non-taxable sales details.
- Tax Levels: This report shows information specific to California and Colorado returns.
- California Detail is a detailed report that can help you fill out California state returns.
- California Summary is a summary report that can help you fill out California state returns.
- Colorado is a summary report that can help you fill out Colorado state returns.
- Colorado-Home Rule Location shows information that can help you fill out local home rule Colorado tax returns for many different home rule locations. This report lets you choose one city at a time.
- New York Apparel Taxation: This report shows information that can help you fill out New York Schedule H forms.
- Colorado Multi-Location: This report shows information that can help you fill out local home rule Colorado tax returns. It includes all taxes for the state of Colorado (including all state, county, city, and special tax jurisdiction tax) for all locations on transactions or where you've told AvaTax Update you collect tax. It's also the only report that includes your Colorado account number and site ID.
- State Summary: This report shows one row of liability data for each state or province.
- Return Detail: This report shows the tax return data of each state or province.
- Carry-over Credits: This report shows the details of all applied or excluded credits at the tax return level.
|Export transaction data for a specific time period
Use export reports to export all transaction data based on the criteria you specify. This can be helpful in cases such as audits or working with external reporting programs. Most export reports are available for sales tax or for consumer use tax. For other tax types, run the All Taxes Report.
- Document: This report shows one row of data for each transaction exported.
- Document Line: This report shows one row of data for each line on each transaction exported.
- Document Line Detail: This report shows one row of data for each tax jurisdiction associated with each line on each transaction exported.
- Exemption Certificates: This report shows one row of data for each exemption certificate entry exported.
- EC Sales List (ESL) – VAT 101: This report shows details of each customer in the EU and the value (in UK pounds sterling) of the supplies made to them in the period. The information can help you fill out the UK EC Sales List (ESL) report.
- Reverse Charge Reports: Run this report as a Document, Document Line, or Document Line Detail report. Reverse charge is commonly required in the European Union (EU) to facilitate intra-EU cross-border, business-to-business trade without requiring the supplier to register in all EU Member States.
- All Taxes Report: Use this report to get data on taxes other than sales tax that our service calculates, such as lodging or landed cost.
|Less common scenarios
Some reports don't fit the typical scenarios the other reports do.
- Excise Reports: Use to view your medical device excise tax summary liability by state. This can help you manually complete federal medical device excise tax forms.