Gather information about your business to help you set up AvaTax Update and automate your company's sales and use tax compliance. Find most of the information on this page on your tax returns and business registration documents. Keep those documents handy throughout the setup process.
Gather what you need
It's easy to get set up quickly if you gather a few things before you begin.
- Company information, including
- Legal company name
- Taxpayer ID number - A taxpayer ID or Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a unique identifier the IRS gives to U.S. companies for tax reporting. Call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line if you don't know your ID.
- Business ID number - You need a business identification number issued by a non-U.S. government if your company operates outside of the U.S. Examples include the Canadian BIN and European VAT ID.
- Addresses for your primary place of business and each business location
- A list of the states and local jurisdictions in which you're registered to collect and remit sales and use tax
If you use Returns
To automate your returns, we need a bit more information. In AvaTax Update, enter this information under Returns after you set up your company.
- Bank account and bank routing numbers
- The bank's name and address
- A list of the returns you file, filing frequencies, and due dates
- The electronic-filing login and password for each state
- Find the department of revenue for any state