This article describes best practices for reporting with AvaTax. AvaTax maintains a detailed history of. Sales and Consumer Use Tax Reports summarize and display this history to help you:
- transactions in AvaTax with your accounting, ERP, e-commerce, m-commerce, or POS application
- Prepare tax returns and forms
- Review your tax liabilities
- Export data for use in an external reporting program
- View reporting information regarding your transaction plan
You can generate reports at any time. However, transaction history is available for reporting 30 minutes after a document is committed in AvaTax. For more recent transaction activity, use the transactions list filter on the transactions tab. For more information about report types and to learn how to run these reports, read our report descriptions. Learn how these reports are linked to one another.
Choose which ad hoc report to use
Reports foror are divided into several categories. Each report contains information for a specific purpose, depending on the value typed or selected for each field.
- Reconcile Reports: Use to reconcile the transaction history maintained by AvaTax with your accounting, ERP, e-commerce, m-commerce, or POS application. Reconcile Reports are presented in an invoice register format.
- Tax Return Reports: Use to assist you in the manual completion of tax returns and forms. Tax Return Reports detail the tax liability of your company by jurisdiction.
- Liability Worksheet Exports: Use to manage your in a spreadsheet.
- Export Reports: Use to extract transaction data from AvaTax for use in an external reporting program.
- Excise Reports: Use to assist you in the manual completion of federal medical device excise tax forms.
- Transaction Usage Reports: Use to view information on the transaction count and transaction plan of your AvaTax Account.
For more information, please see individual reports.
About location-based reporting
The following reports have location-based functionality:
- Sales and Sellers Use Tax Jurisdiction Detail Report: Use this detail report as an aid to complete sales and sellers use tax returns.
- Consumer Use Tax Exemption Detail by Jurisdiction Report: Shows the different reasons for exempt and non-taxable sales details.
Filing in California and Colorado
Use the following report for California and Colorado filing:
- Sales and Sellers Use Tax Levels Report: Use this report as an aid to complete California or Colorado state returns or to complete local home rule Colorado tax returns for many different home rule locations.
Report tax liabilities
Three reports allow you to manage your liability worksheets in a spreadsheet application.
- Liability Worksheet State Summary: Summarizes the selected liability worksheet with one row of data for each state or province
- Liability Worksheet Return Detail: Displays the tax return data of each state or province for the selected liability worksheet
- Liability Worksheet Carry-over Credits: Displays the details of all applied or excluded credits at the tax return level for the selected liability worksheet
For more information, please see reporting tax liabilities.
Ensure that transactions appear on reports
Only documents flagged as committed will be included in reports. If you are missing some documents from a report, check their committed/uncommitted status in the transaction tab of the Admin Console. If documents should be included in reports and are uncommitted, select them and click the Commit button. They will be reflected in reports following the nightly build of the reports server.
Choose file formats for reports
Choose a report file format based on how you work with the report.
- Displays reports in a browser window with controls for navigating, searching, exporting, and printing the reports.
- Embeds hyperlinks in the reports allowing you to drill down to detailed transaction information.
- Generates a Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet (.xls) file for download.
- Generates a PDF file for download.
- CSV-Comma Delimited Format:
- Generates a Comma Separated Values file (.csv) delimited by commas for download.
- CSV-Tab Delimited Format:
- Generates a Comma Separated Values file (.csv) delimited by tabs for download.
- Generates an XML document (.xml) for download.