Here are the answers to our frequently asked questions about locations. For more information, learn how to manage locations.
What is a location?
A location is a record of the physical presence of a company or its personnel. A location records address information for:
- Main offices
- Other locales
Each location is uniquely identified by a location code. AvaTax uses the location code to associatewith a particular location.
What does the locked location symbol mean?
The Locked Location symbol indicates ais used in a locked . Locked locations can only have their end date changed. All other fields are unavailable and the location cannot be deleted.
What is the purpose of the default outlet code?
The default outlet code indicates theto which all imported are assigned if a location code is missing in the transaction.
Where can I use locations in the Admin Console?
In the Admin Console, you can use locations on the:
- Organization tab where you define locations
- Transaction tab where you use locations for the origin or destination on the document or lines tabs
- Transaction tab where you define the location code on the document tab
- Transaction tab where the location code appears in the list
- Reports tab where location(s) are entered on the:
- Standard Sales Tax Reports/Tax Return Reports/Sales and Sellers Use Tax Jurisdiction Detail Report
- Standard Consumer Use Tax Reports/Tax Return Reports/Consumer Use Tax Jurisdiction Detail Report
- Reports tab where the location code appears in the first several export reports
- Tools tab where you use locations for the origin or destination in the advanced tax calculator document or lines tabs
- Tools tab where company locations are imported and the import status is seen on the view imported file status screen
Who can use locations?
To take advantage of, must contain a unique location code. AvaTax uses the location code to associate transactions with a particular location.
Accounts with active companies can use the locations.
Which location is the default location (default outlet code) for my company?
On the locations navigation bar on the Organization tab,the default location (default outlet code) is indicated by an orange asterisk in the Location Code column.